table of contents
If you have any medical questions or concerns, please talk to your healthcare provider. The articles on Health Guide are underpinned by peer-reviewed research and information drawn from medical societies and governmental agencies. However, they are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
If you’re looking for relief from your anxiety symptoms, you may be considering CBD gummies to reduce your anxiety symptoms. CBD is reported to help reduce anxiety symptoms and increase relaxation. Gummies can be a convenient, no-mess way to ingest CBD.
We reviewed six of the best CBD gummies, along with the benefits and the risks of these products.
How do CBD gummies work?
Cannabinoids or CBD gummies are candies made with cannabidiol (CBD) oil. There is very little research on the effectiveness of CBD edibles. Most current research looks at the effectiveness of CBD in oil form only, which may be different from the effectiveness of a gummy that uses CBD oil only as an ingredient.
CBD for anxiety: dosage, benefits and side effects
Hemp-derived CBD products won’t make you feel high because they have almost no tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is the component of marijuana that causes hallucinogenic effects, and CBD products should only have trace amounts of THC (Meissner, 2021).
Hemp plants, which CBD products are made from, are required to contain no more than 0.3% THC levels.
CBD is reported to have anti-anxiety effects by helping reduce pain and improve mood. Some early research shows CBD may help improve sleep quality and anxiety (Shannon, 2019).
The use of CBD isn’t fully approved for many of its claimed purposes. However, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating its possible use for multiple psychiatric disorders, nervous system conditions, inflammatory conditions, and cancer (Meissner, 2021).
Types of CBD
CBD products are available in three primary forms:
- CBD isolate is made with pure CBD. It contains no other compounds (such as terpenes) of the cannabis plant.
- Broad-spectrum CBD contains all of the compounds found in the cannabis plant except for THC.
- Full-spectrum CBD retains all of the components of the cannabis plant, including trace amounts of THC. However, the amount of THC in products must remain below 0.3%.
It’s unlikely, but the trace amounts of THC in full-spectrum CBD products could show up on a drug test.
Popular CBD gummies for anxiety
We reviewed safety, quality, customer reviews, and company reputation when choosing the most popular CBD gummies for this list. When evaluating products, we considered:
- Testing by a third-party lab for THC levels, pesticides, heavy metals, and mold
- U.S.A grown hemp
- Company reputation and certifications
- Type of CBD used
- Customer reviews of the CBD brand
- Overall ingredients
- Health claims made by the company
Please note: Ro has no affiliation with any of these products and receives no compensation for recommending them. All information about these products is current as of the date our team last reviewed this article.
1. CBDistillery™ Broad Spectrum CBD Anytime Gummies
The Broad Spectrum CHD Anytime Gummies by CBDDistillery claim to help you find relief and relaxation. These gummies contain a 30 mg dose of CBD per gummy.
They are made with broad-spectrum hemp extract, so the product will have non-detectable levels of THC. The gummies come in a tropical fruit flavor. The packaging recommends taking one gummy 1–2 times daily.
Anxiety: types, symptoms, causes, and treatments
The product comes with 30 gummies and is currently listed as $60. The company provides a 60-day money-back guarantee to ensure you are satisfied with the product.
2. Cheef Botanicals Vegan CBD Gummies
The Vegan CBD Gummies created by Cheef Botanicals are made with all-natural ingredients, without animal gelatin, artificial colors or flavors, or corn syrup. The gummies are made with full-spectrum CBD oil, containing small amounts of THC (<0.3%).
Each bottle comes with 30 gummies, and they offer a variety of strengths. The gummies are flavored with natural fruit flavorings and citric acid to naturally preserve the gummies. Here are the prices and strengths they currently offer:
- 10 mg per gummy – $23.95
- 25 mg per gummy – $44.95
- 50 mg per gummy – $84.95
- 100 mg per gummy – $124.95
The company does offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. The gummies are rated 5 out of 5 stars from 20 customer reviews on their website.
3. FABCBD CBD Gummies
FABCBD offers two different types of CBD gummies. Their products are gluten-free, non-GMO, and vegan. They offer an anytime option designed for daytime anxiety relief and a nighttime option formulated with other ingredients to help you sleep better.
The Anytime gummies come in 30-serving containers and provide 25 mg of CBD isolate per gummy. This product contains no artificial flavors. Instead, they use the natural flavor of fruit. The product costs $59 per container.
The CBD Sleep gummies (nighttime option) ingredients include CBD, L-theanine, 5-HTP, melatonin, ashwagandha, and GABA. It provides 12.5 mg of broad-spectrum CBD per gummy and comes in the fruity flavor Acai. The nighttime version comes with 60 gummies and costs $89.
The CBD gummies are rated 5 out of 5 stars based on over 400 customer reviews on the company’s website.
4. Sunday Scaries CBD Gummies
The CBD Gummies created by Sunday Scaries contain 10 mg of broad-spectrum CBD. They claim the product will help you live your life “scare-free” by helping relieve stress and reduce anxiety. These gummies also provide 100% of your daily value for vitamin B-12 and vitamin D.
Each bottle comes with 20 gummy bears and costs $29 per bottle. The product is ranked 5 out of 5 stars from 589 customer reviews. The company offers a 100% money-back guarantee and free shipping for subscriptions.
5. Calm by Wellness Hemp Vegan CBD Gummies
The Hemp Vegan CBD Gummies created by Calm by Wellness are 100% cruelty-free and come in an orange hibiscus and strawberry guava flavor. The product is made with 10 mg of broad-spectrum CBD.
There are 30 gummies in each bottle, and they cost $39.99 per bottle. The product is ranked 5 out of 5 stars based on 215 reviews on the company’s website.
6. Charlotte’s Web CBD Gummies: Calm
The Calm CBD Gummies created by Charlotte’s Web were designed to help you better handle stress with ease. These gummies contain a blend of lemon balm and whole-plant hemp extract.
There are 10 mg of full-spectrum CBD and 75 mg of lemon balm in each gummy. The bottles come in three different sizes:
- 30-count for $29.99
- 60-count for $44.99
- 90-count for $56.99
The gummies are rated 4 out of 5 stars from over 400 customer reviews.
Natural remedies for anxiety: what works?
Benefits of CBD
There is still little research to fully understand the health benefits and risks of CBD. However, there is some early research to suggest CBD oil may help (Corroon, 2018; Meissner, 2021):
- Reduce anxiety symptoms
- Improve sleep quality
- Reduce muscle aches and chronic pain relief
- Reduce migraines
- Lower depression
Risks of using CBD
There is very little regulation for CBD-based products, so use caution when choosing these products.
More long-term research is needed to fully understand the health effects of taking CBD products. Possible side effects of CBD include (Corroon, 2018; Meissner, 2021):
- Liver damage if taken in large doses or with other medications such as leflunomide, lomitapide, mipomersen, pexidartinib, teriflunomide, and valproate
- Excessive drowsiness or sleepiness
- May increase the effects of sedative medications like benzodiazepines and opioids
- May increase suicidal thoughts or behaviors
- Dry mouth
- Decreased appetite
Is CBD safe?
CBD is generally considered safe when purchasing high-quality CBD products from a reputable brand that undergoes third-party testing.
Talk with a healthcare provider before taking CBD if you take any medications with sedative effects like benzodiazepines and opioids. Together, the sedative effects may become too potent and suppress breathing (Meissner, 2021).
CBD cigarettes: what are you smoking?
Do not take excessive doses of CBD. A 2017 study suggested humans can safely tolerate up to 1500 mg of CBD per day (Iffland, 2017). However, there is little research about the long-term effects of high doses. Unless otherwise instructed by a healthcare provider, it’s generally recommended to start with around 5–20 mg of CBD per day. If it’s your first time taking CBD, it’s best to start with a low daily dose until you understand how CBD affects you.
Since CBD may cause excessive tiredness, don’t drive until you know how the product and doses impact you. Be sure to check the laws in your state. CBD products are federally legal if they contain < 0.3% THC, but state laws vary.
- Corroon J, & Phillips JA. (2018). A cross-sectional study of cannabidiol users. Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research, 3(1), 152–161. doi: 10.1089/can.2018.0006. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6043845/
- Iffland K, & Grotenhermen F. (2017). An update on safety and side effects of cannabidiol: a review of clinical data and relevant animal studies. Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research, 2(1), 139–154. doi: 10.1089/can.2016.0034. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5569602/
- Meissner H, Cascella M. (2021). Cannabidiol (CBD). StatPearls. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK556048/
- Shannon S. Lewis L, Lee H, & Hughes S. (2019). Cannabidiol in anxiety and sleep: a large case series. The Permanente Journal, 23, 18–041. doi: 10.7812/TPP/18-041. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6326553/